The race course includes areas of extreme difficulty, with steep inclines and slippery loose rock and shale. There is no guarantee any aid stations will be available on the mountain. If weather permits, water and aid materials may be delivered by helicopter.
All Racers Must:
- Have previous mountain running experience.
- Have sufficient fitness to achieve the cutoff times.
- Be prepared to get down the mountain, even if injured. Assistance is not guaranteed.
- Carry your own water if needed during the race. Water and medical services will be provided at the finish line.
View Mount Marathon Race Course Videos
Courtesy of KTVA News Channel 11.
Adult Race Course
- Racers leave the starting line at 4th Avenue and Adams Street, run one block on 4th, take a left on Jefferson Street and follow the road to the base of the mountain.
- Racers climb to the top of the course, cross the timing mat while passing around the summit rock at Race Point, and descend the mountain to the finish line.
- The finish line is one block south of the start line at 4th Avenue and Washington Street.
- Approximate race distance is 3.1 miles, with an elevation gain of about 3,000 feet.
Junior Race Course
- Racers will leave the starting line at 4th Avenue and Adams Street, run one block on 4th, take a left on Jefferson Street and follow the road to the base of the mountain.
- The junior race course follows the same trail as the adult race, but only goes halfway up the mountain.
- Junior racers must round the marker at the halfway point (also known as the Junior Race Point) and descend the mountain to the finish line, one block south of the start line at 4th and Washington Street