Volunteer Sign-Up is now available!
Click below to register to volunteer for the 2019 race!
Volunteers play a critical role in the Mount Marathon Race. Each year, we recruit 300+ volunteers to fill positions on the evening of July 3rd, and all day on July 4th.
Who can volunteer?
Anyone can volunteer. In past years, injured runners and visitors to Seward have been included on our volunteer roster. Runners also volunteer to assist with the other races.
The tasks associated with our celebration are many, and there is truly something to fit everyone’s idea of fun. The adventurous may seek to climb the trail for a bird’s eye view as a route volunteer, while those who prefer sea level can hand out t-shirts to the finishers. Crowd control is always in need of more warm bodies to hold back the swell of fans and keep wayward vehicles off the race route.
How do I sign up?
Register for your preferred volunteer position through our Sign-Up Genius.
You are welcome to share the link with others. And if you can’t make it, please encourage friends and family to volunteer. We need and appreciate all of your assistance, and it’s a great way to get more involved with the race for runners, their families, and other visitors to Seward. Thank you in advance for your help!
Before choosing your volunteer spot, you may want to consider:
- What day(s) and time(s) you’d be available to volunteer, and if there are specific jobs you’d prefer (or want to avoid);
- Whether you’d prefer an indoors job (like registration or t-shirt/patch pick-up) or are willing to work outside (e.g. crowd control/traffic control);
- If you’d be willing to climb halfway up the mountain to do timing/crowd control for the juniors’, women’s, or men’s races;
- Whether you have friends or family members who want to volunteer in the same area, at the same time.
What kind of help is needed?
We recruit volunteers for a variety of tasks, including course set-up and take-down, runner/volunteer check-in, t-shirt/patch pick-up, crowd/traffic control, and more.
- July 3 at Seward High School (2100 Swetmann Ave). Shifts are 4:15–6:15 p.m. and 6–8:15 p.m. (Racers begin checking in at 5 p.m.)
- July 4 at Race Headquarters (Rae Building, 125 3rd Avenue). Shifts are from 8–11 a.m., 10:45 a.m.–2 p.m., 1:45–4:30 p.m.
- Set up crowd-control fencing along streets and at the finish line from 6–8:30 a.m.
- Help take down the crowd-control fencing and the grandstand from 4:15–6:00 p.m.
- Help with crowd control at the bottom of the mountain (including the rock chute) and along Seward streets. Shifts run from 8:30–11 a.m. (Juniors’ race), 10:45 a.m.–1:30 p.m. (Men’s race), or 1:45–4:30 p.m. (Women’s race).
- For those willing and able to climb up the mountain, we’re looking for people to record bib numbers and help with crowd control at halfway points for the Juniors’ race (8:30–10:30 a.m.); at halfway and the summit for the Men’s race (10:45 a.m.–1:30 p.m.); and at halfway and the summit for the Women’s race (1:45-4:30 pm). We will also recruit trail “sweepers.”
- Traffic control is needed at 1st Ave & Jefferson St, 2nd Ave & Jefferson St, and 3rd Ave & Jefferson St during all three races (8:45–11 a.m., 10:45 a.m.–1:30 p.m., and 1:45–4:30 p.m.). We have some experienced volunteers and paid guards lined up but want to add extra help since it can be a challenge to keep cars and people out of the intersection.
More information is available on our volunteer resources page.
How do I check in?
Volunteer check-in is July 3 from 4:45–8 p.m. at Seward High School (2100 Swetmann Ave). This is the same location as bib pick-up for runners.
Volunteers may also check in on July 4 beginning at 8 a.m. at race headquarters, located at the Rae Marine Education Building (125 3rd Avenue).
When you check-in you will receive your volunteer t-shirt and a reminder of your volunteer assignment.
We appreciate your support of the Mount Marathon Race!