Anyone can volunteer. In past years, injured runners and visitors to Seward have been included on our volunteer roster. Runners also volunteer to assist with the other races. The tasks associated with our celebration are many, and there is truly something to fit everyone’s spirit of fun. The adventurous may seek to climb the trail for a bird’s eye view as a route volunteer, while those who prefer sea level can hand out t-shirts to the finishers. Crowd control is always in need of more warm bodies to hold back the swell of fans and keep wayward vehicles off the race route.
We recruit over 200 volunteers to fill positions on the evening of July 3rd, and all day on July 4th.
This year, race volunteers can register and choose jobs online via SignUp Genius. Please go to SignUp Genius to secure your spot, or to contact committee members with questions. You are welcome to share the link with others. And if you can’t make it, please encourage friends and family to volunteer. We need and appreciate all of your assistance, and it’s a great way to get more involved with the race for runners, their families, and other visitors to Seward. Thank you in advance for your help!
Before choosing your volunteer spot, you may want to consider:
- What day(s) and time(s) you’d be available to volunteer, and if there are specific jobs you’d prefer (or want to avoid);
- Whether you’d prefer an indoors job (like registration and t-shirt/patch pickup) or are willing to work outside (e.g. crowd control/traffic control);
- If you’d be willing to climb halfway up the mountain to do timing/crowd control for the junior, women’s, or men’s races;
- Whether you have friends or family members who want to volunteer in the same area, at the same time.
The different tasks we need to cover include:
- July 3rd at Seward High School; volunteer shifts are from 4:15 to 6pm, or from 5:45 to 8pm. (Racers begin checking in at 5 pm.)
- July 4th at Race Headquarters (Rae Building, 125 3rd Avenue); shifts are from 8-11 am, 10:45 am-2 pm, 1:45 to 4:30 pm
Crowd control, traffic control, and timing runners along the race route on July 4th
- Set up crowd-control fencing along streets and at the finish line from 6 am to 8:30 am
- Help with crowd control at the bottom of the mountain (including the rock chute) and along Seward streets–shifts run from 8:30-11 am (first race), 10:45 am-1:30 pm (second race), or 1:45 to 4:30 pm (last race).
- For those willing and able to climb up the mountain, we’re looking for people to record bib numbers and help with crowd control at halfway points for the junior race (8:30 to 10:30 am), and at halfway and the summit for the second race (10:45 am to 1:30 pm), and the last race (1:45-4:30 pm). We will also recruit trail “sweepers.”
- Traffic control at 1st & Jefferson, 2nd & Jefferson, and 3rd & Jefferson during all three races (8:45 -11am, 10:45 am-1:30pm, or 1:45 to 4:30 pm). We have some experienced volunteers and paid guards lined up but want to add extra help since it can be a challenge to keep cars and people out of the intersection.
- Help take down the crowd-control fencing and the grandstand from 4:15 to 6:00 pm.
Thank you in advance for your help!