The time period to submit 2019 race deferral requests closed September 30, 2019.
Currently registered racers that have not attained 10-Year status and are unable to run the Mount Marathon Race—due to medical reasons, military service, or other unique circumstances—must request a race deferral (formerly known as a waiver) in order to maintain their priority registration status for the next year.
Deferral requests are a two-step process:
- Register for the race between March 1–31 of the race year (including paying the $85 registration fee).
- Submit a deferral request using the online deferral request form (see below) between March 1–Sept. 30 of the race year to be considered for a deferral.
Notifications will be made via email by Oct. 31 of the race year. Approved deferrals will register the following year using the normal registration process to gain entry in the race.
- Requests must be submitted to the Seward Chamber of Commerce by September 30 of the race year using the online Deferral Request Form.
- Requests for medical deferral will be honored, but must include a medical provider’s statement verifying an individual’s inability to run the race.
- Requests for military deferral will be honored, but must include verifying statement from official military personnel.
- Deferral requests for unique circumstances (non-medical) will be considered, but may not be granted.
Priority registrants who know they will not be able to run the current year’s race—for whatever reason—may opt to use their once-in-a-lifetime Skip-a-Year option to maintain their Priority Racer status.
Skip-a-Year status will only be granted to racers who meet the qualifications and apply by the March 31 registration deadline.