Take Safety Precautions
The race course includes areas of extreme difficulty, with steep inclines and slippery loose rock and shale. Runners may limit their risk of bodily injury to some degree by observing these safety precautions.
- Run the entire race course several times before race day.
- Be physically fit enough to easily pass by the Turnaround Checkpoint before the cut-off.
- Be prepared to get yourself down the mountain, even if injured. Assistance is not guaranteed once you leave the race start.
- Protective gear such as helmets, gloves, goggles, knee and elbow pads are recommended.
- Previous mountain running experience and demonstrated strength and endurance are highly recommended prerequisites to this race.
- Attend the Safety Meeting.
- Carry your own water during the race. Water may not be available on the mountain.
- Understand that water and medical services will be provided at the Finish Line.
Senior Division Race Course
- The starting line is at 4th and Adams in downtown Seward.
- Runners will leave the starting line and follow the road to the base of the mountain.
- Runners will run to the top of the course, stepping on the timing mat while passing around the summit rock, and descend down the mountain to the finish line.
- The finish line is one block south of the starting line.
- Approximate race distance is 3.1 miles, with an elevation gain of 3,022 feet.
Junior Division Race Course
- The Junior Division Race follows the same trail to the finish as the senior race, but only goes half-way up the mountain.
- Junior runners must round the marker at the halfway point and return down the mountain to the finish line.